Monday, May 26, 2008

Over Smiling All around Ecuador


Alex and I are always talking about how much we smile here. Ecuador has helped us both create an inner happiness that makes everything seem funny or atleast smile worthy. Even when something goes wrong we smile about it because if things go right here, it’s weird. Alex and I take it a little far though as we are always over smiling. The smile held an awkward second too long or done with just a little too much enthusiasm. We have created a list of examples of our over smiling moments.

1. After work it’s normal to find Alex in a towel and me in my underwear about to get in the shower. One such afternoon as Alex walked into the room, refreshed, a huge jet pack style of flying bug flew into the room. We start dodging the bug, in kind of a defensive stance. The bug chases Alex out the door and then flies back in the room which causes us to simultaneously do a home plate style dive onto the floor. We both look at each other relieved that the other was so afraid of just a bug. As soon as we make eye contact the tear drawing laughter begins. Through tears I tell Alex to stop, the laughing hurts and I might have peed a little bit on the floor. We break into another round of laughter as we look at the quarter sized wet spot on the floor.

2. ‘Oversmiling – I feel like we haven’t been doing it as much lately’ – Alex
‘You are doing it right now I can hear it in your voice, but don’t worry, I am too’ –Andrea walking behind him through the dry tropical forest.

3. Running home from work in the pouring down rain, stomping in puddles in our big rubber boots.

4. Alex blurting out English to Ecuadorian family members randomly in a too loud voice.

5. Greeting and waving to everyone, even if you have already said Buenos dias to them 5 times that day and they haven’t moved from where they were four hours ago.

6. Riding in the back of trucks

7. Walking around Tabuga with Alex’s commentary, those of us who know Alex know he’s funny, put him in a world where he can say whatever he wants and I am the only person who can understand and his funniness reaches a new, often inappropriate level.

8. 1.5 pounds of fresh squid for 2 bucks... delicious

9. Baked pasta with mozzarella and parmesan cheese, salad and homemade crutons

10. Raining inside my house... one day when the wind was blowing horizontally during a rainstorm it literally was raining inside the room. Alex was over smiling about it as he stood in the middle of the room yelling, ‘look its raining on me over here, and over here too!’

11. ‘I am not even sure what I like about it here but I am so happy’ Alex, just living the life.

12. New Pillows.... the old ones were moldy and smelt weird

13. Bus drivers knowing we live in Tabuga, not yelling Canoa at us just because we’re white

14. Cockroach eating Styrofoam wall decoration, the noise woke us up and freaked us out... another reason for yet another middle of the night conversation

15. ‘I kind of want to hold your hand and skip, we just get along so well’ Alex regressing to our childhood

16. I have an amazing ability to speak mute... even from far away

17. Getting seen around Ecuador on this weird MTV like TV show where Alex was grinding with the plastic surgery gone overboard reporter.

18. Ryan Fitzgerald

19. Strawberry oatmeal pancakes

20. Rushing to the shower after work –one friend exclaims this shower is so nice, because it always has water

21. Gusuentight – had no idea it was German

22. Getting a beer at the local store, just hanging out and making the wife laugh her witch laugh

23. Hanging out in the jungle with the indigenous group, Waoroni, Alex pulling naked kids into a moving truck and me learning how to say bad words in Wao, the crazy sounding language

24. Bigote, the cook at the reserve and our really good friend. He looks out for us, we look out for him, we really love him... bigote means mustache in Spanish.

25. Oversmiling when we get home after a day of work, a weekend away or a week in the jungle, just because we are home, in Tabuga

4 comments:

  1. Um I don't understand why you never have any comments -- your posts are the shit when they finally come out! Is checking daily too much? I might be a little too psyched to be there...

    AJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you both and can completely imagine the two of you just smiling all over the place! Sounds like all is well in "EcuaLand" although we miss you statside and I can't wait to hear more!

    -Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh myyyyyyyyy GOODNESS You two are AMAZING and I so wish I could experience some of your oversmiling moments with you -- although I definitely oversmiled when I read about them. so glad you posted. XOXOXO ash

    p.s. miss you Andrea <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I FLOVE your posts and I too, wonder why nobody ever posts comments. Oh, maybe it's because you NEVER write! Alex - don't be fooled by her two posts in less than 2 weeks. This is an oddity and we all know it. That being said, I love you both a ton. Keep up the writing!

    ReplyDelete