Thursday, December 18, 2008

Turkey Day

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays and in my head and heart is a time to be with family. Thinking back right now I realize that I haven’t actually had thanksgiving in Concord since my junior year of college, 2004. Yet, I have still enjoyed my turkey with people I love. This year I started the day at Parque Carolina, the big park in Quito. I laid in the sun and cheered on my friends while they played football. I originally wanted to play, assuming it was going to be a casual Peace Corps game. Unfortunately for me, we accidently met up with a bunch of guys from the US Embassy. The head of DEA operations, military guys, etc. The majority of them had cleats and they even had real flags, the ones with a belt. So, my hippy bare-foot version of football didn’t happen but, it was still fun to watch and relax on grass. Grass is a funny thing to miss but after a life of soccer, lacrosse and playing outside, not havening green soft grass in your life is sad. In Tabuga there is just dirt, or dust in the dry season, like now.

A bunch of my friends were at Ryan’s new pad in Quito making a turkey day feast and I headed to the DCMs house. The DCM is the second to the US Ambassador and a pretty big deal. The house the Embassy rents out for him is a three story, 7 bedroom, 8 bathroom mansion. You can imagine the image we may have had of this dinner upon arrival. My inability to use a fork and knife after only using a spoon for two years and my new skill of sucking the meat off chicken bones had me focusing on my table manners. I even repeated to myself, don’t talk with your mouth full.

As it turns out, this image was wrong. The DCM and his family were incredibly welcoming, chill, fun and really wonderful. It was really great to talk to him about his work, all the places they had lived, the Foreign Service, the Peace Corps and everything. His pre-meal speech was perfect and reflected all my own thoughts. Thanksgiving is wonderful because it’s not about gifts and materialism, it’s about family and sharing and being appreciative. All of us people abroad find in others that sense of family and it was really awesome to be invited into their home with 8 other volunteers, share a delicious meal, some wine, cheese and good times.
We even got to watch football, sit on comfy couches and chose which ever bathroom we wanted to use.

After I went back to Ryans and allowed the turkey comatose to take over my body as I watched a movie and drank some boxed red wine with my PC family. I love Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. I think the question on everyone's mind is: where you able to keep any of the Thanksgiving feast down? Or did the ameobas get most of it?

    ReplyDelete