Sunday, November 16, 2008

Tabuga - Best Dressed Kids on the Coast










WOW!





I am forever thankful and impressed by the community service project that the third graders at Beaver Meadow School did. In just a few days the kids collected a bunch of clothes for me to bring down to Tabuga. Not to mention the Erf family, they donated some really cool stuff and others who dropped stuff by Wood Ave.


It was a hassle getting the clothes to Tabuga and a lot of people helped out. It started with Toni´s organizing, Don´s contribution, AJ´s packing and transportation skills, Peace Corps muscles, friendly taxi drivers, a nice bus driver who didn`t charge me for an absurd amount of baggage and my friend Jason. Jason is the new director at the Lalo Loor Reserve where I work and was coming by Tabuga to hang out, little did he know what he was getting himself into, bagman. From NH, to NYC, to Bogota, to Quito, to Ryan´s, to the bus terminal, to another bus terminal to Tabuga. The clothes made it, and oh man, it was worth it!






On Monday I went to my friend Geomaira’s house to organize the clothes. We separated them by gender and age range. The mix of clothes was perfect for all the little boys and girls that run around Tabuga. We put the clothes in boxes and marked them $1 for baby clothes and $2 for kid and adult clothes.



Tuesday I explained to everyone at a community meeting the history of the clothes and with the Queen of Tabuga, Fabiola, announced that we’d be selling the clothes Wednesday morning. We explained that with the money from the sales we were working with the school to have a Christmas Party and give a gift to every kid in Tabuga. Applauses filled the concrete slab where we play soccer, have parties, have meetings and do just about everything.

Wednesday at 9am I arrived at Geomaira’s house, at about 9:01am the living room was already full of Tabugan mom’s going through the clothes. It was a madhouse but a happy madhouse and we raised almost $400! Granted, not everyone has paid yet but that’s how things work around here. It’s a normal thing in this culture to have promotions and people randomly selling stuff. In fact, I just bought some exfoliating face wash not minutes ago from the mother of my god son, it smells nice and has exfoliating beads in it and she’s my friend, how could I say no. Normally they are scheming things like the used car salesman stereotype; this project on the other hand is purely from the heart. The hearts of everyone who donated clothes, from Fabiola and Geomaira with whom I am working.

Geomaira and Fabiola already headed to Portoviejo, the provincial capital to buy gifts.
More on this to come post Navidad!


No comments:

Post a Comment